Ruby’s statement about police brutality: I didn’t think I could come alive

2 October, Kathmandu. Ruby Khan, a women’s rights activist from Banke, broke her hunger strike on Tuesday after reaching an agreement with the government. Ruby has broken her 13-day hunger strike with an agreement to form a six-member committee headed by Joint Secretary, Home Ministry Hiralal Regmi.

Former Human Rights Commission member Mohana Ansari and Home Ministry spokesperson Phanindra Mani Pokharel broke their fast by drinking juice in Maitighar mandal.

His month-long struggle to come to Kathmandu on foot from Nepalganj for justice is very painful. Ruby expressed her grief to the journalists before breaking the fast by drinking juice of Phanindra Mani Pokharel, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs.

According to Ruby, she was arrested on the evening of September 8 and taken to Veer Hospital for stitches. He was kept in police custody overnight due to lack of treatment. He said Khan, who was taken by ship to the Banke district police office the next day, was repeatedly pressured to break his fast there.

“The women were taken to a room where there were no police and a bargain was made to break the strike,” he said.

Human rights activists Mohana Ansari and Ruby Khan’s lawyer in Kathmandu filed a writ of habeas corpus in the Supreme Court, but the police did not bring Ruby to Kathmandu. After bringing him to Kathmandu for the second time within 24 hours, the police brought him to Kathmandu on 28th, when he was undergoing treatment.

After being released from the court, Ruby, who was on hunger strike in the street of her mother’s house, was again taken to the hospital after seeing health problems. It was only after she was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday that she returned to meet other agitating friends. At the break-in event, Ruby expressed her pain during the strike as follows:

The police did not allow me to make a single call until a few days after my arrest. My lawyer asked me to call my family, but they refused. My phone exploded when the male cops were pulling. He was taken to the hospital for treatment but was again taken into custody.

Even at Bheri Hospital in Nepalganj, the police tried to defame me by saying in front of people, ‘This is a man in custody’. When the health condition was very serious, it became very difficult for the police to intervene. At that time I did not think that I could be back on the streets alive. Thanks to the efforts of journalists, human rights activists and engineers, I am able to come out today.

I don’t understand why the police harassed the man who was on death row. He didn’t even ask for a blanket. The cold made his health worse. In Nepalganj and Kathmandu, the detained police treated people as if they had something. I was deeply struck by the way he treated animals regardless of their humanity.

Till now the police have not given me my laptop, mobile phone and documents. I don’t even know where he is.

My release and today’s settlement is not just my victory, it is a relief to all justice seekers and victims. If the Nepal government does not follow today’s agreement in letter and spirit, we will launch a more vigorous agitation. No matter how much we are tortured and tortured, we do not get tired.

Many thanks to all the lovers of justice!

Photos: Shankar Giri

Source: OnlineKhabar